by Jenny Zablotny, DVM
“Help! My puppy just ate…”
What they shouldn’t eat - anything that isn’t dog food.
What they will eat - anything they shouldn’t eat!
Call your veterinarian if your dog ingests any of the following. If you aren’t sure about whether a particular substance is toxic or if it is ok to induce vomiting, call and ask. If you take your dog in, bring the original packaging so that the veterinarian can see what the active ingredient is. Not all mouse poisons are alike and ibuprofen is not aspirin!
Common toxic items:
Sugar-free gum or candy (contains Xylitol)
Raw, yeast bread dough
Human medication, including chewable vitamins
Commonly ingested items that can cause obstruction or penetration of the intestines
Clothing (socks, underwear)